Web Alert: New round of revision of the IMSBC Code (1)
News & Insights 25 April 2016
The IMSBC Code is now under its fourth revision process referring to amendments 04-17, expected to be finalised in 2017
The IMSBC Code is now under its fourth revision process referring to amendments 04-17, expected to be finalised in 2017.
The IMSBC Code became mandatory in 2011 under the SOLAS Convention. Since then, the original IMSBC Code has been subject to three amendments:
- Amendments 01-11 to IMSBC Code by MSC.318(89)
- Amendments 02-13 to IMSBC Code by MSC.354(92) effective from 1 January 2015
- Amendments 03-15 to MSC.393(95), adopted in June 2015 and entering into force on 1 January 2017
The ongoing work of the Editorial and Technical Group of the Sub Committee on Carriage of Cargoes and Containers continues to facilitate the fourth version amendments. The issues subject to review can be summarised as follows:
- A new schedule on Nonammonium Phosphate (Group B) and Monocalciumphosphate (Group A)
- A study on safe transport in bulk of New Caledonia nickel ores that may liquefy
- A review of the existing schedule for carriage of Metal Sulphide Concentrates in relation to MHB hazards
- An update by the International Iron Metallics Association (IIMA) on the on-going research to define an appropriate test protocol for assessing the corrosivity of complex solids under the IMSBC Code and improving corrosivity test protocols for complex solid bulk cargoes
The club will continue to monitor developments and provide members with further updates.