Web Alert: A master’s guide to enclosed space entry
01 August 2017
In accordance with SOLAS, enclosed space drills have been mandatory since 1 January 2015. However, investigations into enclosed space-related casualties show that most are caused by poor training and knowledge of the correct entry procedures, or a disregard for them.
This guide therefore focuses on making seafarers aware of the risks associated with entering an enclosed space and the applicable onboard procedures, using case studies to highlight the common errors which make a seafarer put himself and others in danger.
The full guide is available on the right.
The masters guide publications promote best practice for key areas of vessel operations. The aim of the guides is to provide advice to help eliminate common errors made during routine operations. The full list of guides is:
- A Master's Guide to Container Securing - 2nd Edition
- A Master's Guide to Ship's Piping - 2nd Edition
- A Master's Guide to Berthing - 2nd Edition
- A Master's Guide to Using Fuel Oil Onboard Ships
- A Master's Guide to Enclosed Space Entry
- Master's Guide to Shipboard Accident Response
- Master's Guide to Hatch Cover Maintenance
They are all available here.