Standard Club has merged with North to form NorthStandard. Find out more about NorthStandard here or continue on this site to access industry news, publications and expertise, as well as club rules and contacts.
Charterers’ liability for damage to hull clause 2022
1 - Cover
The member’s liability as charterer of a ship (other than as bareboat or demise charterer) for:
loss or damage to the ship.
damages for detention or loss of use or hire or demurrage paid or due to the owner for a period during which the use of the ship is lost or the performance impaired as a result of physical damage to the ship.
salvage, salvage charges and/or general average contributions in respect of charterers’ freight at risk and/or charterers’ bunkers and/ or the ship, following loss of or damage to the ship.
Cover is extended to indemnify the member as charterer (other than as bareboat or demise charterer) in respect of:
- extraordinary costs and expenses reasonably and necessarily incurred by the member in order to remove from the ship offspecification bunkers and/or lubricating oil, even in circumstances where there has been no physical damage to the ship, including costs and expenses reasonably and necessarily incurred in:
- (a) replacing such off-specification bunkers so removed with new and sound bunkers (but excluding the cost of the new and sound bunkers);
- (b) the lawful disposal of such off-specification bunkers or lubricating oil;
- (c) cleaning any part of the ship as a result of such offspecification bunkers or lubricating oil.
- loss or damage to his bunkers on the chartered ship as a consequence of a casualty including fire, grounding, stranding, collision or total loss of the chartered ship.
3 - Exclusions
There shall be no recovery for liabilities:
- for which the member is covered if the ship is entered for standard risks in the club or another insurer affording equally wide cover;
- relating to any of the risks which are otherwise excluded by the rules or in the member’s certificate of entry, unless otherwise agreed by the managers.
4 - Deductible and limit of cover
The applicable deductible and limit of cover shall be that set out in the member’s certificate of entry.