Web alert: IMO guidance for ECDIS best practice
News & Insights 21 October 2015
Members are advised that a recent IMO circular MSC.1/Circ/1503 which was released on 24 July 2015 provides guidance on good practice for the use of ECDIS.
Members are advised that a recent IMO circular MSC.1/Circ/1503 which was released on 24 July 2015 provides guidance on good practice for the use of ECDIS. The introductory text of the circular acknowledges the benefits to the mariner that ECDIS can bring whilst also highlighting its status as a complex, software based system the use of which entails engagement by a number of different stake holders who need to share a common understanding of the requirements of ECDIS to ensure the overall success of the system.
The circular goes on to provide best practice guidance on the following topics:
- Chart carriage requirements of SOLAS
- Maintenance of ECDIS software
- Operating anomalies identified in ECDIS
- Differences between raster chart display system and ECDIS
- ECDIS training
- Transitioning from paper chart to ECDIS navigation
- Guidance on training and assessment in the operational use of ECDIS simulators
The information contained in this circular is of great value to those using ECDIS onboard or those organisations contemplating making the change from paper charts to ECDIS due to the mandatory IMO timetable.