Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By using our site you accept the terms of our Privacy Policy

Accept and close
Emergency Number +44 7932 113573

News

Web Alert: Personal Injury (e-cigarette battery explosion)

29 June 2018

The club was recently notified of a personal injury incident after a crew member suffered severe burns to his right leg when a spare e-cigarette battery carried in his coverall overheated & exploded. The keys carried in the same pocket most likely caused the short circuit.
 
Most e-cigarettes are powered by a lithium-ion battery which can pose a fire hazard if overheated from an outside heat source such as direct sunlight, a phenomenon commonly known as ‘thermal runaway’. Contact with metal objects such as coins, keys or jewelry could lead to short circuit, fire or even explosion.
 
The hazards associated with lithium-ion batteries were previously highlighted in the club’s web alert. The lithium-ion batteries used to power e-cigarette vaporizers are small and powerful. When they fail, the results can be disastrous.
 
It is strongly recommended to avoid carriage of e-cigarettes and/or spare e-cigarette batteries whilst on duty. Other safety tips for e-cigarette users are stated below -
 
1.       Only use the charger supplied with the e-cigarette kit - other chargers may cause problems with incompatible battery types.
2.       Avoid overcharging - by ensuring that it is not left unattended while charging.
3.       Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures.
4.       Replace batteries if they become wet or damaged.
5.       Store loose batteries in a case - keep them away from metal objects.