Web Alert: Special inspection on bulk carriers in China from 15 June to 31 December 2017
22 June 2017
The China MSA has announced a special inspection campaign for bulk carriers from 15 June to 31 December 2017.
The priority targets of the special inspection will be the following ships:
- Bulk carriers of more than 10,000 GT and above 15 years of age, engaged on international voyages
- Bulk carriers converted from tankers.
The primary focus of the special inspection will be on the ship’s structural elements and include the following:
- Loading/discharge plans agreed by the ship and terminal (IMO Res. A.862(20))
- Approved cargo/ballast operations manual
- ESP documentation for bulk carriers (IMO Res. A.744(18))
- Thickness measurement reports
- The weather-tightness of hatch covers
- Hatch corners and hatch coamings
- Frames/plating in cargo holds
- Bulkhead structures in cargo holds
- Ballast tank structures.
PSC officers may require the ballast tanks to be opened for internal examination. Class surveyors may be invited to join the inspections.
Members operating bulk carriers in Chinese ports are recommended to prepare the ships accordingly for the special inspection. For additional information, please find attached information bulletin issued by CCS class.